Sunday, November 12, 2023

Season 30, Week Five: Grease Night With the Grease Songs in Order

 

Praise be to Jesus! We actually have an opening number again!!! (Choreographed by Catherine Burns.)

Note Sharna, Pasha and Lindsay.

Oh, Sharna, I miss you already.

Well, at least we know that we’ll have good songs in a Grease night. (Something to snap us out of that Disney Villains lethargy with crappy songs…)

Grease (and music) icon Olivia Newton-John sends a video message of support.

Oh jeez. They are doing all of the songs in Grease. In order. Ugh. Dancing with the Stars, please go back to how you used to be. Sheesh. This forced stuff is really annoying.

Val and Olivia, foxtrot

They are dancing, then, of course, to “Summer Nights.”

We have Olivia Newton-John back (on video) to explain Grease to us.

Iconic song, great dance. Fun troupe interaction.

Len: “Well, I think if Sandy and Danny were to dance a foxtrot, it would look a lot like that. It was full of fun, it was entertaining. Olivia, you are becoming one heck of a dancer. And Val, your choreography is just great.” Derek (in a pink suit): “I can already tell tonight is going to be one of my favorite theme nights ever. I absolutely love Grease. Olivia, you are a perfect Sandy. Your frame is unbelievable. So beautiful. The character you play is spot on. What a great way to open the show.” Bruno: “Stay tuned, because it’s gonna be a good one. I mean, come on! As an opening number, your starry nights are more than summer nights. Because what you did, actually, you captured the sweet innocence of Sandy. So beautiful. You got swept off your feet by Danny, and you kept a very very beautiful foxtrot going. Olivia would be proud of you.” Carrie Ann: “I echo everything my fellow judges say, but on top of that, your body contact was amazing. Your hold, your technique was amazing. Not only did you bring Sandy to life so beautifully, you brought it to life in the correct way.”

JUDGES: 36 (Out of 40)

Artem and Melora, Viennese waltz

They have the co-creator of Grease in the ballroom, Jim Jacobs. Wow.

They are dancing a Viennese waltz to “Look At Me, I’m Sandra Dee.” Melora is thrilled to be playing Rizzo. Artem says that he’s never had a sleepover in his entire life (!). Nor has he ever participated in a pillow fight (“absolutely not” as he says). Hahaha Melora goes to the couch to grab some pillows. 

I forgot that one of the lines of this song is: “I’m lousy with virginity.” LOL

It really helps to have such a great actress doing this song. Almost makes it work.

I mean, look at her. She is Sandra Dee.

Derek: “Melora, you are the gift that keeps on giving. That intro was straight out of the musical. You always bring the theatrics. You always bring the character to life. The dancing, of course, is beautiful. You’re amazing.” Bruno: “Melora, you’ve got the part. You’re hired. What she does, she takes the character, but you make it your own. You play with your own sassy sense of humor. Did you put some bump and grind into the Viennese waltz? I don’t mind. I liked it, because in this case, it worked. The character, you played it so well.” Carrie Ann: “Melora, last week, I know I said it was a little safe, but what I loved about this performance is you kinda never knew where you were gonna go next. What I think sets you apart from everybody else is that every time you dance, it makes everybody wanna do the dance with you. You make it look like it feels so good. Excellent job.” Len: “You didn’t just dance that fantastically well, you acted the part. There was a great connection between the two of you. I tell you what, it’s just like the film or the show, I feel better for seeing that.”

JUDGES: 36 (Out of 40)

Daniella and Iman, Viennese waltz

We have another Sandy and Danny, in Daniella and Iman. This time, they are dancing to “Hopelessly Devoted to You,” and Olivia Newton-John tells is how important this song was to her.

I loved it not only because it’s one of the best songs of Grease, but because of all the beautiful Viennese waltz content that Daniella put into it. Gorgeous dance.

Bruno: “I could really feel the sense of a love story, Plenty of love and devotion in there.” Carrie Ann: “It’s so hard, cause the height difference is just tremendous. This one wasn’t the best dance suited to you. I also love th chemistry that you always bring. That’s special.” Len: “It had a gentleness that I liked so much. Your technique isn’t great. You try so hard, that I find it difficult to criticize you.” Derek: “Iman, personally, I love you. I love watching you. You just ooze joy when you dance. Great try.”

JUDGES: 28 (Out of 40)  

Witney and The Miz, jive

They dance to “Greased Lightning,” which he thinks is one of the best songs in the show. (The one he remembers most.)

Carrie Ann: “Go Miz Lightning. You are living the dream. That is the ultimate performance anybody could wanna do: ‘Greased Lightning.’ That was amazing. You matched the energy. You came out, you thrilled us, you totally made it work. You just rushed for about half of the song, but I know it’s because you love it so much. That’s what makes me wanna forgive you, But I still have to score you right.” Len: “Well, I’m not sure about hydromatic. I thought one or two of the steps were a bit problematic. Overall, it was a high-octane, full-on jive.” Derek: “Listen, man, I look forward to seeing your performances every single week, because I know you’re gonna absolutely crush it, come out here and perform your butt off. Usually every step is accounted for with you, but tonight, it lost a little bit of the clarity, especially toward the end. But bro, that was so much fun.” Bruno: “The timing just went at the end, but what a performance.”

Happy Birthday to Witney.

JUDGES: 32 (Out of 40)

Alan and Amanda, Viennese waltz

They are dancing to “Beauty School Dropout” and Amanda is playing Frenchie.

They video chat with Didi Conn, who was Frenchie in the movie.

Special surprise: Frankie Avalon is performing the song.

Amanda Kloots’ acting skills really came into play in this number. And wow! Those legs!

Len: “Well, you may be a beauty school dropout. One thing for sure, you’re not going to be a Dancing with the Stars dropout, because I thought that was just fantastic. Overall, it was great. The icing on the cake is one of my teenage heroes: Frankie Avalon.” Derek: “First of all, you said, ‘Leg extension, let’s go.’ You are always so consistently fantastic, especially in the ballroom dances. Your frame is beautiful. Your legs are unbelievable. Just fantastic. There’s something for me, I can’t quite put my finger on it, what it is. There’s this moment that I just wanna tip it over the edge and give you that 10.” Bruno: “Well, I know where my finger is. When it comes to beauty and legs, you have nothing to fear. In fact, you have plenty to spare. I really felt like you stepped out of a dream into an enchanting Viennese waltz. Splendid.” Carrie Ann: “Amanda! Grease is the word for you, and Grease is the Night for you. You had technique. You brought elegance. You’ve got charm, you’ve got musicality, you’ve got magic.”

JUDGES: 39 (Out of 40)

Sasha and Suni, Charleston

They are doing one of Sasha’s best dances (the Charleston) to “Born to Hand Jive.” Sasha is playing Danny Zuko and Suni is playing Cha Cha. 

OK, one of the best things so far is seeing Pasha and Britt in the troupe of this “Hand Jive” dance. At the end, Sasha gets a pie in the face.


Was that planned? Val thinks not.

Sasha and Suni win my dance contest.

Derek: “I’m so confused. The song is called “Hand Jive,” you’re dancing a Charleston, and you’re playing the character of Cha Cha. This is a very confusing dance. But I absolutely loved it. That iconic moment, with your foot on his chest, you’re shaking the skirt! So much fun.” Bruno: “It really felt like we’re all having the most fun EVER! You got your cake and ate it, by the looks of it (as Sasha continues to lick the frosting off his face. LOL). Talk about throwing everything at it, and I like the fact that you put a bit of Lindy hop in there as well, which just made it even more delicious.” Carrie Ann: “I thought it was fantastic. Look, that moment when Cha Cha danced, that’s like every dancer’s dream, when the hot dancer chick steals him away for a minute, right? The greatest moment. I thought you did a great job. It was fantastic.” Len: “What I liked, you got elements of Charleston in there. My biggest compliment about that dance: I smiled the whole way through.”

JUDGES: 36 (Out of 40)

Emma and Jimmie, foxtrot


They are dancing to “Sandy.” Emma’s costume is gorgeous. Jimmie, I’m not so sure.

 Bruno: “First let me say, from all of us, Congratulations (his wife just had a baby). You were very good in hold. You were very dynamic side by side. Great storytelling.” Carrie Ann: “There’s something about you when you dance: the musicality, the storytelling… Sometimes, when you’re out of hold, you’re so much bigger than when you are in hold. I’d like to see more of a balance, so that it doesn’t feel so different.” Len: “There’s a flair about your dancing. I don’t always think the technique’s overly great, you lose your hold and posture a little bit, but you come out with enthusiasm. And I think that’s such a great trait.” Derek: “That had content, performance, storytelling, great choreography. That was a concept seen through from the beginning to the end. That was a complete package.”

JUDGES: 34 (Out of 40)

Brandon and Kenya, rumba

They are dancing to “There Are Worse Things I Could Do,” and Kenya is playing Rizzo.

She dedicates this dance to her grandmother.

She looks stunning. 

Carrie Ann: “Kenya, I am so happy that you are still here in this competition, so that you could do that do that dance right now for all of us. You have incredible dignity. You just show up, you perform, and you are getting so good. That was the most… it was delicious, and sensuous and powerful, and dignified. And now I understand how much you love dancing.” Len: “I know the song says ‘Worse Things’ you could do, there wasn’t much worse you could’ve done in that rumba. It had chemistry, it had a romance about it, it had control. It was really, really spot on.” Derek: “Kenya, that opening half split! It was stunning. Assertive, intentional, the rotation in your legs in the fan position. The way you used your arms. Listen, you can either sink or swim. You swam.” Bruno: “Kenya, I feel funny. Hot. Actually, what was brilliant: you were so focused. In translating emotion through motion. Right on it, honey.”

JUDGES: 36 (Out of 40)

Jenna and JoJo, foxtrot



They are dancing to “Look at Me, I’m Sandra Dee (Reprise).” They also talk to Didi Conn.

Len (he stands): “You affected my brain with the quality of the technique, you affected my heart with the artistry that you produced. It was superb.” Derek: “I absolutely love this partnership. It is so beautiful. And the way you ebb and flow between leader and follower, follower, leader. It is so gorgeous. That opening turn was stellar. This power and grace, it was absolutely pristine. That was a moment.” Bruno: “I am still shivering. Because, I am telling you why. That was the most exquisite interpretation of the importance and power of friendship, and it was danced to a level of musicality. You did that like an artist.” Carrie Ann: “You guys leave me nothing to say at this point. Except, I can just say: it was perfection.”

JUDGES: 40 (Out of 40) First perfect score of the season.

Gleb and Mel C., quickstep

Gleb and Melanie C. are dancing to “You’re the One That I Want,” because of course they are.

Some people seem to be doing these quicksteps really slow. Or is it just me?

Derek: “First of all, confidence isn’t something that you have. Confidence is something that you do. And you did that. You were phenomenal out there. You were so great. How fantastic that quickstep was. Your oversway was perfection.” Bruno: “You got what you wanted: Gleb on his knees, begging for it. It takes a lot of guts doing a quickstep in Lycra® because all the attention is on the legs and feet. And I have to say, great!” Carrie Ann: “Melanie, I just wanna say that I appreciate your vulnerability there, because this whole thing is a journey. And as a judge, I’m not judging the vulnerability. I love that you shared that, and it makes us appreciate what you do out here even more. And that’s the beauty of Dancing with the Stars. So I love that. What will make you feel like you have the breakthrough is when you just have fun. You started a little nervous, weren’t you? And then, halfway through you had fun, and that’s when it came to life. It was amazing.” Len: “Keeping it simple: It was your best dance for me.”

JUDGES: 36 (Out of 40)

Cheryl and Cody, quickstep

Cheryl and Cody dance the finale, “We Go Together,” which Cheryl calls “the most well-known song.” Um, it isn’t. I’ve never heard of it, and “Hopelessly Devoted to You” charted. So no, she’s wrong.

Oh, ok. I have heard this song. Still not the “most well-known.”

Bruno: “It really had the sense of uplifting celebration of everything Grease. Great performance. You have to work on the sections in hold, and the footwork. At this stage, we cannot let that go. I know you can do it. It’s the partner work.” Carrie Ann: “I think Bruno’s right. It would be nice if you closed the gap a little bit in your hold. It would make you dance more together, and we’ll feel more chemistry from you, and make you more solid as a couple dancing.” Len: “It needed a stronger frame, But what I liked was the energy you produced. You really came out and gave it your all.” Derek: “I thought it was a great way to finish out the night, and I actually think that your frame improved from last week.”

JUDGES: 32 (Out of 40)

The Bottom Two:

1. Gleb and Melanie C.

2. Olivia and Val

Who’s going home?

Len saves Val and Olivia.


MICHE’s Favorites of Grease Night

1. Sasha and Suni, Charleston

2. Daniella and Iman, Viennese waltz

3. Val and Olivia, foxtrot

4. Cheryl and Cody, quickstep

5. Jenna and JoJo, foxtrot

6. Emma and Jimmie, foxtrot

7. Gleb and Mel C., quickstep

8. Brandon and Kenya, rumba

9. Alan and Amanda, Viennese waltz

10. Artem and Melora, Viennese waltz


Please Go Home!

1. The Miz

*******************


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I encourage and welcome the dialogue.