Sunday, November 5, 2023

Season 30, Week Four, Night One: Disney Heroes Night and No One Goes Home

It’s Covid times at Dancing with the Stars, so we still don’t have a proper opening number, but we do have our couples at Disneyland, each doing a few steps. Well, it’s better than nothing. They danced to “Zero to Hero,” which is fitting because it’s Heroes Night. (Cheryl and Cody were not included, neither were Sasha and Suni for some reason. Perhaps because Sasha and Suni didn’t go to Disneyland. They got to view the new movie, Encanto, instead.)

And we have one of the stupidest things they’ve ever done on #DWTS tonight. They have a series of moves (shown by Mickey Mouse) that our couples (well, pros) must incorporate into their choreography, no matter the dance style. Ugh. Who comes up with this nonsense?

Jenna and JoJo, Viennese waltz

Courtesy of Just Jared and ABC.

Well, you knew it was going to happen: that two women dancing together for the first time as competitors on DWTS meant that one of them would be dressing in drag at some point. Well, here it is. JoJo as Prince Charming. And it’s wonderful. Just sublime.

Can I just say how stunning Jenna’s Cinderella costume is? Bravo to the costume team.

They are dancing to “A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes” from Cinderella, of course.

Len: “You danced a couple of bars of reverse turns, a couple of bars of natural turns, in hold, which to quote another song is just about the bare necessities. However, having said that, it was beautifully danced. Your footwork was fantastic. And I enjoyed watching you so much.” Derek: “Last time I was judging you, I mentioned that More isn’t more. Tonight proved that. You were so clean, so elegant. It was a breath of fresh air. Beautifully danced.” Bruno: “JoJo, Jenna, you two are a dream come true. This was a Viennese waltz for the 21st Century. Full of charm, grace, elegance. All was so beautifully executed.” Carrie Ann: “JoJo, I am so proud of you. You just showed the whole world that you can do anything guys can do, and sometimes maybe even better. That was amazing what you’re doing. What I loved the most was that you toned it down and you were the frame for Jenna to shine tonight.” 

JUDGES: 35 (Out of 40)

Gleb and Melanie C., jazz

It’s great to see Melanie C. as Mary Poppins. Also great to see her do a few cartwheels. I thought there was more to the song than just “Step in Time” over and over again, but it was a fun dance.

Derek: “Melanie, I actually had the privilege of dancing ‘Step in Time’ with Dick Van Dyke a couple years ago, and I know if he saw this, he absolutely would have loved this. This was like a full musical production: you had the props, you had the set. You danced it so well, so acrobatic. Some of the transitions were a little hectic here and there. But overall, fantastic.” Bruno: “That was so difficult, because the tempo sped up. It wasn’t even. You wove in the Mickey Challenge very very well in the structure, as an introduction of the routine. You lost sync a little bit.” Carrie Ann: “Oh my god, that was jam-packed. Move after move, it was like a stunt show, an action adventure come to life. It was a little bit out of sync.” Len: “That was just like Disneyland. It was full of fun, joy and it was enchanting.” 


JUDGES: 31 (Out of 40)

Lindsay and Matt, quickstep

Everyone tells Matt he should be Frozone for Halloween, so here he is, living the dream. This was my favorite of their dances so far, although I think he botched a spin at the beginning.

Bruno: “Mr. Frozone, it looks like you’re defrosting nicely. The quickstep is all about feet. I have to say: they are getting better.” Carrie Ann: “Listen, we’ve gotta still work on your technique. What I loved is, I smiled the whole time. Anyone who can do that in a unitard and still make me smile like that, God bless you, Matt James.” Len: “I admire your tenacity and your work ethic. Quickstep’s not an easy dance. Your technique wasn’t great. But it was fast and it was energetic. I enjoy watching you every week.” Derek: “First of all, I just love the commitment, going full out with the outfit. It was stressing me out a little bit, with the glasses, I was like: can he see? I don’t know, is he gonna fall over, OMG. It was really entertaining.”

JUDGES: 26 (Out of 40)

Emma and Jimmie, paso doble


They take a page from Mulan, and Jimmie dedicates it to his dad. They are dancing to “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” which is kinda weird with Emma dancing it with him, but ok. Sometimes these dancers just don’t listen to the lyrics…

Carrie Ann: “That was incredible. There was dignity, there was passion. I loved how you did the Mickey Challenge. Everything about that dance was delicious. I loved it.” Len: “You got into the paso doble feeling for the dance. It was a little bit of walking about going on, which I wasn’t too keen on.” Derek: “Jimmie, what I’m so impressed with you about is your texture. Your texture and your movement. It looks just wonderful.” Bruno: “Great! I loved the menacing warrior. I loved the touches of martial art.”

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 40) 

Alan and Amanda, rumba

Wow. Didn’t like these costumes at all. Guess they can’t all be winners. What is that scarf thing? Ugh. Well, in the movie, she was a gorilla, so I guess the costume could be anything.

They dance to “You’ll Be in My Heart” from Tarzan. They talk about how (in the movie) it’s a mother talking to her son. But they are dancing a rumba. Ick.

I didn’t like anything about this dance, and Alan’s bizarre hair was really distracting.

Len: “Well, in rumba, you need control, you need romance, you need chemistry. You need your hips to show us the rhythm of the dance. Your arms should show us the melody of the dance. All of that you got. I thought it was brilliant. It was so beautiful. I loved it.” Derek: “Hold on, hold on. I didn’t think you missed the Mickey Dance Challenge at all. It was like a contemporary break in the rumba. I disagree with you, Len. Here’s the thing I love: every fiber, every muscle in your body is working. You can really see the articulation in your feet, using the floor, into your feet, into your arms.” Bruno: “Both of you, thank you for the eye candy, btw. And your pants have shrunk. Let’s talk about the rumba: effortless, easy, natural. You really made it look easy.” Carrie Ann: “Amanda, real quick, I just wanna say, you seemed a bit cautious. But what I love is that you actually attempted proper rumba, and you didn’t hide behind anything. So I really appreciate that.” 

JUDGES: 32 (Out of 40) *overscored*

Val and Olivia, samba

These costumes are a little better. Although getting The Lion King from this is a bit of a stretch. They are dancing to “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King.”

It was a really fun dance. I love Val’s choreography so much, even when he has to incorporate that stupid Mickey Dance Challenge, and go back into samba. It was beautiful. And they did samba rolls.

Derek: “Wow. Olivia. I am not a cat person, and you do not look adorable in that makeup. Listen! That samba? You are like becoming one of my favorite performers on this show. There’s like an effortless fun to when you dance, every time you dance. It’s just so fun to watch you. The samba rolls, the stationary samba walks, the promenade runs, you had it all in there.” Bruno: “Look at you. The spirit of a wild cat, with the sprint of a cheetah, and yet, she maintained the lightness of a gazelle. You’re so versatile. You have such range. What more do you want? You’ve got it.” Carrie Ann: “I loved almost everything about that. What was the most impressive though, was dealing with the music change. Hard music change, and you’re not an experienced dancer. To be able to come back in like that, shows the trust. What I love most about this couple right here is the chemistry and trust that you guys have. It’s gonna take you so far.” Len: “Zippity do dah. Lots of zip, and no do dah anywhere.”

Courtesy of Just Jared and ABC.

JUDGES: 35 (Out of 40)

Witney and The Miz, quickstep

They are dancing to “A Friend Like Me” from Aladdin

Now these costumes rock. So beautiful. To say nothing of his makeup!

Bruno: “I really appreciate the fact that you really go for it. You work very hard. You give everything you have. And we love your performances.” Carrie Ann: “What I love most about this performance is that you’re really honing your energy in to match the specifics of each dance. That’s something that you struggled with from the beginning. You bring and you elevate the mood of the room every time that you step out in this ballroom dance floor. You are so much fun to watch.” Len: “You didn’t just take off and fly, as you quite often see. You danced it with control, which I thought was terrific. You’re really light on your feet for a great, big bruising guy. I thought you did a terrific job.” Derek: “You gotta hand it to you. You’re always full out, fully committed to whatever you’re doing, and we appreciate that. I think everyone appreciates that. I would say a little bit more body contact, but I’m afraid you’d get a little bit blue on Witney. So, let that slide.”  

JUDGES: 31 (Out of 40)

Brandon and Kenya, contemporary

I gotta state my dislike for Contemporary right up front. They dance to “How Far I’ll Go” from Moana.

These costumes were amazing, and the lights made them even more magical. The dance was ok.

Carrie Ann: “I’m frustrated because Kenya, there was such a freedom in your expression tonight. This was like the most open and joyous and open-hearted I’ve seen you, which is tough coming back, after last week (they were in the Bottom Two). So I have so much respect for that. I thought it was beautiful.” Len: “It was beautiful, and I compliment you on the way that you performed that. I thought it was a first-class performance.” Derek: “I feel like you started off, and it felt a little timid at first. You just started smiling, and I got chills. You did the little hula moment. Oh, I loved that.” Bruno: “Kenya, my darling, don’t worry. I felt it all. I felt the motion of the water, the beautiful waves rolling, the Polynesian hula. It was just lovely. Until he hit the rock. Watch it next time.”

JUDGES: 29 (Out of 40)

Sharna and Brian, waltz

He’s Prince Charming, and she’s Snow White. And they are waltzing away (*swoon*), and I’m here for it. Oh, how beautiful.

Len: “I don’t know about ‘Someday, My Prince Will Come,’ I never thought the waltz was gonna come. (Len hates frou-frou stuff at the beginning.) It was so much kissing and cuddling and messing about, then you did a little bit of waltz. Then, there was too much wafting going on. I would’ve liked to have seen a much more traditional waltz…”

Val’s reaction to Len’s comment: 

“…But that would please me.” Derek: “Not at all. I think the opening image (when the Prince leans down to kiss Snow White on her bier) was as pretty as a picture. It was a screen shot taken right out of the film, so magical, beautiful, and when you are in frame, your frame is fantastic, brother. That was beautiful.” Bruno: “Darling, don’t worry. It looks like you’ve got your prince under control. I’m getting all the sweetness and niceness, but sometimes too much sweetness gives you a toothache. You need more traction, more action, more involvement. Give it light and shade. You know, you’re an actor. Portray all those qualities. I know you love each other. I love it, and I love you two. Come on, more sweeping vibe, more power.” Carrie Ann: “There was a little lift. Just a little. I gotta do it. I have to be fair to everybody. It’s part of the rule. We’re not supposed to lift in waltz.”

JUDGES: 25 (Out of 40)

Sasha and Suni, salsa

They are dancing to “Columbia Mi Encanto” from the movie Encanto. (And why didn’t anyone give them popcorn? Come on now, Disney!)

She does so many flips! Guess that’s what you do when you have a gymnast as a partner. Wow. Wonderful salsa, I loved it.

Derek: “I’m still digging it. I love seeing you open up more and more each week. I had so much fun. That was so great. So much fun.” Bruno: “It was a fiesta of a salsa. You’re getting freer, and able to express more every week. A delicious salsa.” Carrie Ann: “What I love is every single move you do, you could take a snapshot. It looks perfect. Everything’s so perfect about the way you move.” Len: “That was the most expressive that I have seen you. You really came out of your shell.”

JUDGES: 33 (Out of 40)

Artem and Melora, quickstep



They are dancing a quickstep to “I Wanna Be Like You,” from The Jungle Book. Melora is playing Balou. She says it’s one of her husband and kids’ favorite movies. 

I love her costume so much. I don’t know if she looks like a bear, but she looks fabulous. I mean, come on! Look at that fringe flying.

Bruno: “The Queen of the Jungle is in delightfully good form tonight. She’s becoming the Queen of the Ballroom. The best quickstep I’ve seen so far this season. You managed to put a lot of comedic slapstick Charleston, but the actual content was brilliant.” Carrie Ann: “You bring all these textures and styles, and then you always bring something that’s sort of unexpected. We’ve been watching dance for a long time. You bring something unexpected to every dance floor. That’s what makes you special.” Len: “That was, by far, your best dance. It was great. Your technique in hold was great. You had personality. Never doubt yourself. You are a dancer.” Derek: “When you did this part (he recreates it), for me, that was the best dance of the night.”

JUDGES: 36 (Out of 40)

Cheryl and Cody, jive



They are dancing a jive to “Standout” from A Goofy Movie. Cody is definitely a big Disney fan.

Fun dance. It’s so good to have them both back in the ballroom, after their Covid travails.

Carrie Ann: “All right! Cody and Cheryl, welcome back to the ballroom! It’s so good to have you guys back. That was a great performance, I loved all your energy. But you’ve just gotta finish your moves.” Len: “Well, I don’t like to be a party pooper, but it was too much side by side. There wasn’t enough of what I would consider as a jive in there. There was a few hints of it. If I’m gonna be honest, I was a wee bit disappointed. Cause you’re a really fit guy, and the jive should be right up your street.” Derek: “Great energy. You’re such a great performer, especially in that opening moment. Incredible. I agree with Len a little bit, especially when it got into the partner work. Little bit more kicks, little bit more flicks. Overall, great job.” Bruno: “Your power surge nearly blew my fuses. He is right. Jive: kicks and flicks. But I understand you haven’t been able to work close together. Next week, you’ll sort it. Great performance.”   

JUDGES: 27 (Out of 40)

Daniella and Iman, foxtrot


Can we just take a moment for this incredible set? Wow. So beautiful.

They are dancing to “Let It Go” from Frozen, as you can imagine.

Wow. He is more than a full head taller than she is. Interesting choice. When she sings, “Let it go,” they get into hold. LOL Other than that, a beautiful foxtrot.

Len: “Well, it’s obvious you’re great at delivering (he talked in the package about delivering his two children), and you delivered a really elegant foxtrot. Listen, it’s wonderful to see a great big guy trying to show romance, trying to show movement. I thought you did a really good job.” Derek: “What I love about you is you can see your improvement. Your frame was beautiful, the way you glide across the floor, it was fantastic. So smooth.” Bruno: “Tonight I got the feeling that I really wanted from you. When you embrace your bigness and you extend your arms, at times you look like an eagle taking flight. You know this feeling of command in the room, and stretching and reaching all the way around. I could see it tonight. Tap into that feeling, because you’ve got it.” Carrie Ann: “I absolutely agree with you, Bruno, for sure. You know what’s so amazing? Tonight is Disney Hero Night. And we’ve seen heroes, and we’ve been inspired all night, but you’re a hero in real life, by getting out here and dedicating this dance. You could see and feel the love in every movement. And that’s what makes you stand out to me with our dancers.” 

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 40)


Who gets the two bonus points for the Mickey Dance Challenge? Emma and Jimmie.

Who goes home? No one, it’s Disney Heroes Night!

Miche’s Favorites of Heroes Night

1. Sasha and Suni, salsa

2. Val and Olivia, samba

3. Daniella and Iman, foxtrot

4. Jenna and JoJo, Viennese waltz

5. Artem and Melora, quickstep

6. Cheryl and Cody, jive

7. Gleb and Melanie C., jazz

8. Sharna and Brian, waltz

9. Emma and Jimmie, paso doble

10. Lindsay and Matt, quickstep


Can Go Home Any Day Now

1. The Miz

2. Amanda

3. Kenya

************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I encourage and welcome the dialogue.