Saturday, November 11, 2023

Season 30, Week Four, Night Two: Disney Villains Night and a Double Elimination


Left to right: Carrie Ann, Len, Derek, Bruno. Not pictured (ever): Tyra Banks.

I’m just gonna say that I’m so over Tyra Banks. OK then.

Since there was no elimination last night (this is Dancing with the Stars Season 30, Week 4, Night 2, for those keeping score at home), there will be a double elimination tonight. *Gasp*

We have, of course, more footage of couples at Disneyland. Jimmie is “all in” on Disneyland.

Emma and Jimmie, jazz



They are dancing to Billie Eilish’s “Bad Guy,” which is that Billie Eilish song that you know but don’t know the name of.  (Outfitted as Tinkerbell and Captain Hook, who for some reason are fighting). OK.

Look at this amazing set!!!! Two real waterfalls! Skull Island!

At the end, she looks like she’s about to throw a punch. :-0. Come on, Tinkerbell would NEVER do that. You don’t throw punches if you’ve got magic, and fairy dust. And if she did, he’s got a HOOK for a hand. Emma’s a great dancer and choreographer, but man, she’s not big on lyrics or story. OK, this went WAY outside of plausibility for me. But it was a fun dance. And I couldn’t figure out how they kept lighting her (in the way that Tinkerbell is incandescent…at least the set and lighting and costume people are paying attention to the actual story…), cause she just glowed. (As Tinkerbell does.)

Len: “I liked the concept, the story within the dance. Captain Hook, fighting little Tinkerbell… I thought the lifts were right in character. You’re surprising me each week, because your dancing is coming right on point.” Derek: “Jimmie, I’m so impressed with you, my man. That side by side, when that kicked in! It had so much oomph to it, so much energy. Some people transform on this show, and you are definitely one of those people. I’m loving seeing your progress, man.” Bruno: “That was a badass jazz routine. You gave it your own style. You were totally in character. You never dropped it. Your strongest performance to date.” Carrie Ann: “Jimmie Jam. Disney is totally your jam. I can tell how much you love it, because it came through in both of your dances. Last night and tonight. That was amazing.”

JUDGES: 35 (Out of 40)

Cheryl and Cody, Viennese waltz

They are dancing to “Gaston” from Beauty and the Beast (thank goodness it wasn’t “Be Our Guest” again). The dancers may not be clued in to the story, but man, the set designers sure are. Look at this one.

Note Pasha (eliminated last week) and Britt among the troupe members on the stage in this dance.

Another lack of continuity. This song is sung to Gaston by his buddy. So who’s Cheryl’s character supposed to be? Gaston’s alter ego or something? Ugh. I’m not liking the story presentation of the dances so far. But that said, I did like the dance. 

Derek: “Not a lot of people know this, but you guys had the least amount of rehearsal time this week. So, well done for getting two routines in this week. You had the flaring of the gusto of Gaston. You always are such a great performer. Technically, there are still some things to work on: getting the frame up, and the natural turns, the reverse turns, and get lower in the legs, it will help you get a little more balance. Overall, great performance.” Bruno (who has his gold sparkly pants on): “Gaston, so irresistibly dashing, is a curse. I know the feeling, Cody. You know, very very hard. But I actually have to say, I’m so happy to see you in a full production, able to really exploit your talent, because you’ve got it. He’s right, a bit of polishing, but you can work a stage.” Carrie Ann: “Cody, thank you, thank you, thank you. All the moves were finished, you were bold, you were polished. You were so animated. Cheers to you.” Len: “Cheryl, I congratulate you, natural reverse turns. You even put a freckle in there! And that was fantastic. Well done to both of you.”

JUDGES: 31 (Out of 40)

Gleb and Melanie, Viennese waltz

Since Sleeping Beauty was also an animated movie (without song), they are dancing to Lana del Rey’s “Once Upon a Dream.” (And Mel C. is playing Maleficent.)

Sets, costumes, lighting!

I’m sure Len will say this, but there wasn’t much of a Viennese waltz there.

Bruno: “Magnificent Maleficent, you’ ve got plenty of drama, mama. It was so haunting. But there was a quality I really liked, it was like suspended animation. Like you were weaving a spell all around you. I loved it.” Carrie Ann: “That was your best dance, by far. There was the transformation that we’re looking for. You went from Sporty to the Queen of Evil. Sensual, powerful, the continuation of the movement was so languid and sensuous.” Len: “I liked the mood. You created a fantastic atmosphere. I don’t wanna be glib, Gleb, but you could’ve had a little bit more Viennese waltz in the Viennese waltz. (Knew it!) What was on the label, not on the table.” Derek: “Big props for navigating those horns. Sometimes that can throw people, but you handled it beautifully. That was ominous and forbidding performance. Gorgeous.” 

JUDGES: 35 (Out of 40)

Jenna and JoJo, paso doble

Courtesy of Just Jared and ABC.

They are dancing to “Ways to Be Wicked” from Descendants 2. (?) The song is terrible, but the costumes and hair are fantastic. (It’s hard to take a song seriously, especially as a “Villain” when one of the lyrics is “W-I-C-K-E-D.” Ugh.)

Carrie Ann: “JoJo, you are a fantastic performer, always I love the energy you bring and the dedication. This week, I didn’t think that was your best dance. I thought it was a little hectic. What I’m looking for, always, is transformation. That’s what keeps the playing field level for everybody. This week, I felt like we kinda went back to old tricks and old habits. I like when you have a little bit more elegance.” Len: “It possibly could’ve been hectic, but for me, what I loved, it had control. That wasn’t just all the time right on point. You’ve done two dances: Viennese waltz, paso doble. Both ends of the dance spectrum. Both fantastic.” Derek: “I actually feel like maybe the hecticness was just the hair flying around. You look at the dancing, I agree with Len, it was super in control, had so much content in it. Had the power, had the oomph that I love to see in paso doble.” Bruno: “My shielding beauties. Equally strong, equally gifted. It was like watching two supervillains battling for supremacy. And you both won. A paso doble like no other.”

JUDGES: 35 (Out of 40)

Brendan and Kenya, Viennese waltz

She is the Evil Queen in Snow White, and they are dancing to “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande.

Well, once again, the lyrics don’t fit the story. The Evil Queen always knew she was a “dangerous woman.” But I liked this Viennese waltz enough to go with it.

Len: “Well, the bars you did in hold were appreciated. The technique weren’t great, however, basically it was a lovely dance in 3/4 time, done very very well, so congratulations.” Derek: “Kenya, this Evil Queen was a vibe. I loved it. Just like sultry, sensual, seductive. I was so into it. It was so good. You are fierce, you really really are. I just want you to believe that a little bit more in the dance. I want you to own that fierceness within you, cause you definitely have it. There it is.” Bruno: “Oh, sassy madam. No mirror can do justice to your regal beauty. I loved the way she played with the boy. You would tease him to death. Use them! I had enough. Next!” Carrie Ann: “I am so impressed with the way you kept on your center, because there are moments when you almost got pulled off, and you were just ‘I am not letting go. Not tonight.’ That was your best dance.”

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 40) 

Daniella and Iman, Argentine tango

Daniella and Iman are dancing to “Arabian Nights” from Aladdin, and Iman is Jafar.

Wow. Some amazing lifts in that Argentine tango. Pretty incredible.

Derek: “Yo! That opening and ending lift was iconic. Seriously. There was no momentum there, from a static position. A lift with that control. That was a moment. I just felt that in the room, that whole routine. I’m kinda speechless. That was really, really good.” Bruno: “People are told: ‘No special effects. No wires.’ A feat of magical strength. She was in the air more than a commercial airliner. I don’t know how you did it. Impressive.” Carrie Ann: “I’m truly blown away. That was one of the most magical performances I’ve ever seen on this show. There was something about the different levels of the tone.  Like you could see the different chapters of the story. It was poetry in motion. It blew my mind.” Len: “Congratulations, that was your best I’ve seen.”

JUDGES: 33 (Out of 40) 

Artem and Melora, jazz



She’s playing the villainous mother from Tangled. In their package, they show Kate Flannery (who should’ve won with Pasha in her season, IMHO) visiting their rehearsal.

It’s kinda weird because Tangled is all about Rapunzel and her long hair, and Artem is now playing… her son? #Bizarre With an eye patch? The entire song is vocals that Melora reacts to with grand gestures. (Not so much dancing.)

We learn that the vocals that they used were actually Melora’s! Wow. Nice voice.

Bruno: “When it comes to deliver wickedly delicious dancing musical comedy, nobody does it better.” Carrie Ann: “You’re a little cray-cray. It all came out today. I love it. You’re so theatrical. This is the kind of thing we wanna see. We wanna see everything big and bold at the fifth night of competition. You were amazing. It was a little safe.” Len: “That had wit, it had charm. It was truly delightful.” Derek: “Boy, that was an absolute clinic in storytelling, and absolute theatrical performance. You were magnificent. Beautiful.”

JUDGES: 37 (Out of 40) Len gives a 10, the first 10 of the season.

Witney and The Miz, Argentine tango

The Miz talks about he likes being a villain in WWE, and he likes being booed. He’s playing Scar from The Lion King, whom he says is “the worst of the worst villains.”

I liked the dance, but mostly it was Witney doing all the Argentine tango, and The Miz lifting her up.

Carrie Ann: “The men are on fire tonight. What is happening? That was incredible. What I loved was the way you channeled all your energy into focus and intimacy. And the specificity of movement tonight was on fire.” Len: “I wasn’t prepared for that. I liked the lifts, they were in character. Lovely moments of Argentine tango. All mixed up with a really theatrical performance.” Derek: “It’s 10s across the board for your commitment to the costumes, for both Disney nights. You win, you win. Even through the costume and the makeup, I could still see the articulation in your body and your movement. It was so fantastic. Brother, great, great job.” Bruno: “Very scary. Don’t bug me. I have some catnip, just in case. I have to say, in spite of the scary appearances, there was so much content there, and in general, very very good. Great performance.”

JUDGES: 34 (Out of 40)

Sharna and Brian, paso doble

They are doing Pirates of the Caribbean. He is playing Captain Barbosa and she’s Jack Sparrow. Sure, why not? It’s not really explained why these two characters would get into hold and dance, but ok.

A very fun paso, with Sharna’s usual great choreography.

Len: “Well, I liked the aggression that you showed in that. I liked the fight scene. That was really lovely.” Derek: “I loved the dance/fight choreography. It was so entertaining to watch. I’m not gonna lie. I definitely had a heart attack for some of those explosions in there. Well done for staying focused during that. Cause that was a lot.” Bruno: “You had more firepower. You’re fully loaded.” Carrie Ann: “I know it’s hard for you, but what I love is that was a valiant effort. I definitely saw you in it to win it. You’re going for it, you’re doing the moves. Very proud of you.”

JUDGES: 27 (Out of 40)

Lindsay and Matt, paso doble 

They are dancing to The Jungle Book, and Matt is Kaa the Snake. Lindsay is playing Shere Khan, the tiger. Ugh. I hated that dance.

Derek: “Matt, I was feelin’ ya, man. Your face. Where you were just like into it, man. I loved it so much. Great job.” Bruno: “That was a solid performance. Power, intent, content. You can do it, Matt. You have to refine now. Extend, maintain and refine.” Carrie Ann: “This is the first time I really felt like you gave us all. You left nothing behind.” Len: “Well, in the paso, you look for three Ps—you want posture, you want passion, you want performance. I saw that a little bit, but really, you could give me so much more. Now come on!”

JUDGES: 31 (Out of 40)

Val and Olivia, jazz

They are dancing to “Remember Me” from Coco. Which is kinda bizarre, since Coco doesn’t really have “villains” per se. But Val changed it to be more a husband-wife fighting with each other for attention, which kinda worked. The dancing was kinda minimal though. Mostly just dramatic faces. Still, I love anything Val does.

This is not Olivia and Val, these are the troupe dancers.

Bruno: “I’m having so much fun, I’m going Coco-loco. (*eyeroll*) Really, you captured the spirit of the movie. Perfectly. We know you’re getting better and better and better as a dancer. But you can act as well.” Carrie Ann: “I’m impressed with the acting and it felt a little safe for me. I’ve seen you dance in the pocket. Tonight I felt like you were just a hair in front of it. You are growing every week.” Len: “There’s a saying: ‘I could’ve danced for joy.’ This was such a joyous performance.” Derek: “I could hear Len during that whole performance, ‘I love it!’ The whole time. Listen, I can’t believe you’ve never danced before, because you are a natural-born performer.”

JUDGES: 35 (Out of 40)

Sasha and Suni, Viennese waltz


Sasha and Suni are dancing to “I Put a Spell on You” from Hocus Pocus.

Carrie Ann: “Suni! You’re finally really going there. The articulation, I could feel your energy, I could feel the energy move. So when you dance beyond your body, I could feel you do every move. Finally, I feel the performance has met the technique.” Len: “You look so good in hold, Sasha, next ballroom dance, let’s get a little more in hold. She looks great.” Derek: “I’m still recovering from Sasha running off like a little cat. I’m dying. Suni, you’re beautiful, you’re magnificent. You have beautiful, beautiful arms. Like Carrie Ann said, your performance is starting to come out, and we absolutely love that.” Bruno: “Bewitching, my darling. The flow of the movement, those long lines—keep it going, it’s working.”

JUDGES: 35 (Out of 40)

Alan and Amanda, paso doble

Courtesy of Just Jared and ABC.

They are dancing to “Call Me Cruella” and she, of course, is Cruella.

Len: “It had a feeling of menace, which I liked to see. Lovely interpretation from you, Alan, for the music.” Derek: “Amanda, you look unbelievable. You played the part to perfection. You were so good that sometimes the little details catch my eye. That was a phenomenal paso doble.” Bruno: “It was devilishly stylish, with a hint of danger and a lot of aggression. It was going so well. There was a slight misstep. Otherwise, it could have been perfection.” Carrie Ann: “That was powerful and masterful, and so divine. I have to say, a beautiful way to end an incredible night. Bravo to everyone who worked on these shows.”

JUDGES: 36 (Out of 40)


These are the scores from both Disney nights, plus our votes, plus the Mickey Dance Challenge points.

I have to say that I thought the Disney Villains night overall was a #FAIL because it was just all over the place. The music from the movies (by and large) wasn’t very good. The Villains weren’t villainy enough. One Disney night is enough.

So, who’s going home on this Double Elimination night?

The Bottom Three:

1. Sharna and Brian

2. Lindsay and Matt

3. Brandon and Kenya

are in the Bottom Three.

Brian and Sharna have the lowest totals and are eliminated. Judges decide between the last two.

Len decides to save Kenya and Brandon.


Miche’s Favorites of Villains Night

1. Daniella and Iman, Argentine tango

2. Artem and Melora, jazz

3.Sharna and Brian, paso doble 

4. Val and Olivia, jazz

5. Sasha and Suni, Viennese waltz

6. Brandon and Kenya, Viennese waltz  

7. Cheryl and Cody, Viennese waltz

8. Alan and Amanda, paso doble

9. Emma and Jimmie, jazz

10. Gleb and Melanie, Viennese waltz

11. Jenna and JoJo, paso doble 


Can Go Home Anytime Now

1. The Miz 


****************************


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I encourage and welcome the dialogue.