Sunday, October 1, 2023

Season 29, Semifinals Bring Two Dances and Two Eliminations

 

We have another lame intro thing, where the stars ask “real people” who they are voting for. Yawn.

Then, eons of time of Tyra Banks walking down the stairs. Double yawn.

And since Tyra gets to walk down, they have the judges walking down too. Sheesh. Can we start already? God, I miss the opening numbers!

We learn that the dancers will have two numbers tonight. 

First round is “Judges’ Redemption.”

Alan and Skai, cha cha

Don’t like this song or this dance.

They have Bruno as a judge mentor.

Bruno: “Your legs were so much better.” Carrie Ann: “I thought it was amazing. I’m so proud of you. This is redemption. What a great way to start the semifinals. On point. You were so crisp.” Derek: “Just your confidence. You feel so much more relaxed, but so much stronger in your movement. So sharp. Also, this is my favorite dress of the season. Such a brilliant dance.”

JUDGES: 27 (Out of 30)

Sasha and Justina, tango

I lovcd this tango. Of course, I also love Justina and Sasha and want them to win.

They have Derek as a judge mentor.

Derek: “Justina! First of all, that intro. The attack, the passion, the energy. Your frame is so exquisite, it’s so stunning. There was no hops. So good. Loved it.” Bruno: “That’s what I was waiting for. You don’t mess with that girl. On top of it, total change of intention that allowed you to drive through the right feeling. And it all happened. So much better.” Carrie Ann: “Mama, you’re on fire tonight. The way you danced together as one. You’re always beautiful and passionate, but tonight, there was like an new oozing sensuality that came from true confidence. All of that is perfect for this dance. Wonderful dance.”

JUDGES: 28 (Out of 30)

Britt and Johnny, salsa

I just love watching Britt. She’s so spectacular. I liked this salsa, too.

They have Carrie Ann as a judge mentor, who coaches them via Zoom.

Carrie Ann: “I felt you were much more in control. I’m so proud of you. I saw the work that I wanted to see from you.” Derek: “First of all, that was a tough routine. That was intricate, and the fact that you were able to that with such power, finesse, it was fantastic. I’m lovin’ this Redemption Dance. Everybody is getting better, they’re improving.” Bruno: “You really have the feeling now, of action and reaction and connection. And you maintained that kind of rhythmical fluidity that you need in the salsa.”

JUDGES: 27 (Out of 30)

Daniella and Nelly, paso doble

Nelly should have been eliminated last week. I don’t think much of his dancing at all. But one can remain stoic with paso doble.

They have Bruno as a judge mentor.

Bruno: “I could see shapes. I could see lines. What I loved: you used restraint power.” Carrie Ann: “You danced that with power and presence. There was a regalness to what you were doing. You have so much control over your body. So impressive. You told the story beautifully.” Derek: “First of all, there is definitely improvement. The focus you have was so captivating.”

JUDGES: 26 (Out of 30)

Jenna and Nev, foxtrot

Pink shoes? Really? wow. Certainly better than their Week One dance. 

They have Derek as a judge mentor.

Derek: “What I loved about that routine was that it was classic. It was pure. It was pure foxtrot. What makes a good foxtrot? Control. You were in absolute control from start to finish, throughout that entire routine. Beautiful.” Bruno: “No messing around. Boom! The frame. You never lost it. Even your bum was under control. You seem to as well have an instinct to interpret the music absolutely right, so in tune with Jenna. Brilliant.” Carrie Ann: “From that first step, the body contact was incredible. Talk about mastering the technique. You have become a true ballroom artist.”

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 30)

Artem and Kaitlyn, paso doble

Great music. Sounds like Rodrigo y Gabriela. Fun dance.

They have Carrie Ann as a judge mentor, who coaches them via Zoom.

Carrie Ann: “That was amazing. From the moment you began, it was passionate, it was powerful.You were so in the zone. Every nuance. I could feel you. I’m so happy for you. This is what we want.We want everybody to feel great. This was a fantastic, and fast and furious paso doble.” Derek: “You sold me. That was awesome.” Bruno: “Seriously, it was 100% authentic paso doble.” 

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 30)


ROUND 2

Sasha and Justina, contemporary

\Well, I don’t normally like Contemporary, but I really liked Sasha and Justina’s. They dance to “Holding Out for a Hero” because Sasha’s her hero. It was beautiful.

Derek: “Oh my goodness. I’m just having moments tonight, because it is coming to the end of the season. And this is where all the emotions are mixed into… there are no words. Thank you so much. I just love watching you dance. It feels effortless. I know it’s been challenging. I know it’s difficult, but your gift is to  look like it comes from you, from within. Beautiful arms. I love seeing you smile and embrace that dance.” Bruno: “Such freedom of movement. Sense of relief. It was almost like when you watch a child, unleashed (!) running through a meadow. I don’t care about anything, it is me. This is who I am, this is what it is. Take it or leave it.” Carrie Ann: “Justina, you’re right, about Sasha. He’s a very special heart (as Sasha bows his head, embarrassed), and having him by your side has brought out something so incredible. This dance…we talk about ‘What is a 10?’… ‘What is perfection?’ It’s when magic happens on the dance floor. And you can’t put your finger on it, but you feel it in your heart. That did that for me tonight. It was beautiful. It was authentic. You were telling us your appreciation for Sasha, and I could feel it. It was gorgeous.”

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 30)

Alan and Skai, Viennese waltz

They dance to “Lonely” by Miley Cyrus. Nice choreography by Alan. 

Bruno: “The elegance. That could be a Vogue cover. What you did was so beautiful. You managed to maintain an emotional connection, all through the dance. You were telling the story like you’ve never done before, without ever losing the weightless flow that we require from Viennese waltz.” Carrie Ann: “Skai, you are an exceptional young woman. You have a grace, elegance and determination. You do not stop fighting ever, and it’s so impressive. But what I loved most about tonight is that sometimes when women are strong, we don’t show the vulnerability. But the vulnerability is the most beautiful part, because that’s what is the power behind the strength. Tonight, you expressed your vulnerability and it just took the dance to a whole other level. Tonight, this was for you.” Derek: “I’m gonna echo what they both said. It was just beautiful. Elegant. Your frame was gorgeous. You emoted, throughout the whole dance. I really felt you. I connected. Because you were connected to yourself. And when you connect to yourself, others connect to you.”

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 30)

Britt and Johnny, jazz

They dance to One Republic’s “I Lived.” I guess I put jazz (sometimes) right in there with contemporary. I wasn’t really wowed by this dance.

Carrie Ann: “Johnny! Britt! I loved it. That was amazing . That looked like you felt like you were on Cloud 9. Wonderful. It just had this feeling of hope. That’s what’s so beautiful about our show. The way you’ve come, the way you’ve made this journey from—you have struggled the most out of everybody. And you still just keep soaring.” Derek: “Beautiful routine. Well done, Britt. I loved the beginning, when she supported you. It was a perfect representation of your partnership. I really feel that genuine connection between the two of you. There’s a real currency in genuine love and respect for your partner. We feel it. I feel like the audience at home feels it.” Bruno: “Clean, clear, purity of line and form. It was completely you. Very dynamic, very musical. Everything I love was there.”

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 30)

Jenna and Nev, contemporary

Contemporary is Jenna’s ace. She really excels at it. Really stunning choreography. Incredible moves.

Derek: “I forgot to judge. I was just watching. It was just so wonderful to witness and to watch. Just the partnership, the fluidity, the creativity. Props to all the pros. So much goes into it. Jenna, I know you’re going home, stressing about the choreography. Listen: you aced it. That was phenomenal.” Bruno: “You cannot be that good. There wasn’t a nuance that wasn’t on point, and on purpose. You were talking with your body. I was listening to you. Like Derek, I was totally, totally with you. You were speaking to me.” Carrie Ann: “Listen, your partner there is no joke, and contemporary is her thing. Jenna, that choreography was amazing, it was stunning, it was so artistic. But what’s amazing is you didn’t tone it back one bit for him. And Nev, you delivered every single step. She challenged you, here, where it really matters, to get you to the finals. Challenge: accepted and won.”

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 30)

Daniella and Nelly, jive

This is definitely my favorite of all their dances, probably largely because it’s danced to a song from the ’40s. (I think it’s called “Jump Jivin.’) Fun stuff. I did notice that he’s not wearing dance shoes, only sneakers, so maybe it’s easier for him.

Daniella is just amazing. I love her so much.

All of the judges are on their feet, clapping. 

Bruno: “I can’t believe it. Nelly, you nailed it.” Carrie Ann: “Daniella! Amazing job. But Nelly! What happened? This was incredible. This was the breakthrough. This was the right time to have the breakthrough. This is when you want your moment to skyrocket. I’ve never seen you boogie. You had like a fire under your foot. Nelly: Amazing job. Thank you.” Derek: “Dude, you nailed that routine.”

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 30)

Artem and Kaitlyn, contemporary

My tolerance for Contemporary is growing thin. This was ok. Not as stellar as Jenna’s.

Carrie Ann; “First of all, tonight’s semifinals, I’ve never seen dancing at this level. So congratulations to all of you. Kaitlyn, I’ve been waiting for you to do a contemporary. This is the dance I knew you’d be incredible at. And you danced from your heart. Your lines were beautiful. Artem, I loved the tenderness between you two. You guys have come together as a very beautiful team.” Derek: “When people ask me about Dancing with the Stars, I always say my favorite part about the show is telling stories. And having the honor and privilege to tell someone else’s story through dance and movement, and have those moments that are so special that you’ll never forget. You’ll always have this now. For your friend, and for yourself. Thank you for that.” Bruno: “Oh my darling. Powerful. Beautiful. Fantastic dance. Really on a fantastic night. I want to take a moment. You see this, but this show wouldn’t happen without all the people backstage that really work so hard to bring this show to the American audience. They do a fantastic job. Safely. Thanks to them as well, as all of you. Fantastic night.”

JUDGES: 30 (Out of 30)

So, who’s going home on this Double Elimination night?

(We are ignoring all the times Tyra messed up tonight. I will remind though: Tom Bergeron NEVER messed up a line.)


MICHE’s Favorite Dances of The Semifinals: Judges’ Redemption

1. Sasha and Justina, tango

2. Artem and Kaitlyn, paso doble

3. Jenna and Nev, foxtrot

4. Britt and Johnny, salsa


MICHE’s Favorite Dances of The Semifinals: Regular

1. Jenna and Nev, contemporary

2. Artem and Kaitlyn, contemporary

3. Sasha and Justina, contemporary

4. Britt and Johnny, jazz

5. Daniella and Nelly, jive

********************************


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I encourage and welcome the dialogue.