Saturday, April 8, 2023

Season 29, Week 3: Disney Night Brings a Mix of Sublime and Sucky

Oh boy do they try to make something happen in this empty, audience-less ballroom. For the opening, they recreate (sorta) the famous Disneyland “Main Street Electrical Parade” with lights flashing, people waving glow sticks and a big caterpillar coursing the dance floor. And of course, the standard piped in audience applause that has been standard for this season. 

In the opening credits for the first time, they show each couple (together!) in their costumes and characters for the upcoming dances. Very nice. Although it did seem that there’s more than one Mary Poppins this week.

Alan and Skai, jive (“The Princess and the Frog”)

After last week’s catastrophic, messy fall, it’s hard to get back up again. She just looks so awkward in this dance. Lame kicks and flicks. Ugh.

Derek: “Last week, we had a bit of a heels over head moment, and I have to be honest with you, I’m not really head over heels with this performance tonight. In jive, you wanna have your nose over your toes. It was a little bit far away. Which made it look a little stiff sometimes. You have a lot of potential. It wasn’t my favorite.” Bruno: “That was a very difficult dance. It was tidy, crispy. You went for it with focus. When you do that, as a performer, you become tight. Very difficult to do.” Carrie Ann: “I know last week probably shook you up. At the top of the dance, you looked a little nervous. You weren’t really focused. Kinda like dancing to no one. I realize it’s harder without an audience to make eye contact with, but find something, so we feel like you’re performing for one person. That would’ve changed the whole beginning.”

JUDGES: 18 (out of 30)

Val and Monica, Viennese waltz (“The Little Mermaid”)

Val always has such stunning choreography. Plus, not everyone knows how to properly do a Viennese waltz. So, this was lyrical and beautiful to watch. Really enjoyed it.

Bruno: “You soared through it with such confidence and connection. It’s so good to see that. You were fluid, you were flowing. So much better.” Carrie Ann: “You were like a different person on the dance floor tonight. Did it feel different to you? (She says yes.) I could tell. When you have fun, we have fun watching you. Your body relaxes, all of the beautiful things happen when you relax.” Derek: “Actually beautiful. Watch the feet a little bit. This was so so much better than last week.”

JUDGES: 21 (out of 30)

Sasha and Justina, Charleston (“Mary Poppins”)


 While Val’s ace in the hole is the Viennese waltz, no one does a Charleston better than Sasha Farber. Largely because you can do more of the acrobatic tricks that Sasha likes to do in a Charleston. 

Loved this dance so much. Sasha and Justina are sincerely one of my favorite couples this time around. So much fun to watch. Love them.

Carrie Ann: “I loved it! What’s so incredible about you two specifically is the way you match each other. You guys are perfectly in sync. It’s very sharp and clean. I think it could’ve used a tiny bit more energy, but very nice.” Derek: “When I heard you were going to dance the Charleston, that was like: Man, she’s gonna crush this routine. Because it just matches your personality so much. However, when you think of Charleston, you think of the swivels. You think of the footwork. And I didn’t feel like I got that. Just steps, unfortunately. It could’ve been more energy, a little sharper for this performance.” Bruno: “You’re so sweetly delicious. You’re almost addictive. And you can sell anything. What this was like was a wonderful Vaudevillian musical performance. Lovely slapstick. But he’s right. Charleston is about the scissors action.”

JUDGES: 19 (out of 30)

Cheryl and AJ, quickstep (“Aladdin”)

Don’t really like this song (“Prince Ali”), but Cheryl’s stellar choreography goes a long way toward making this a fun dance. Plus, the costumes are rocking.

Derek: “I can always rely on you to put a smile on my face. You are always committed to every performance. So much fun. Actually, your frame was pretty good.” Bruno: “I loved it. I was cracking up. But you actually kept that quickstep going very very well. You’re improving and you’re refining every week. That’s what you do to win this competition.” Carrie Ann: “I liked you put your own spin on it. Now you’re starting to feel comfortable. You had the foxtrot last week. You did the quickstep, you were more comfortable in hold this week. I liked your own style. You kinda made it funky, a little bit in the middle.”

JUDGES: 21 (out of 30)

Keo and Anne Heche, quickstep (“Hercules”)

Keo is certainly my least favorite dancer on this show, and Anne Heche isn’t one of my favorite actresses, by any means. So I’m not thrilled about this couple at all. They are dancing to “Zero to Hero” from “Hercules.”

Bruno comments by saying some nonsense about Hercules and Hippolyta. Carrie Anne: “I loved the start. And then, you lost stuff… You need to recalibrate the partnership. You really lost control. I’m so bummed, cause you started out so strong. Keo, watch those lifts. I know it’s an intro, but I’m gonna be strict.” Derek: “I have a suggestion. In rehearsal, I would love for you to be able to dance the entire routine by yourself. So that way, you’re on your own feet. Even when you’re in hold. Dance it by yourself.”

JUDGES: 15 (out of 30)

Brandon and Jeannie, Viennese waltz (“Up”)

To their credit, Brandon and Jeannie do dance quite a bit of this Viennese waltz in hold. And the Viennese waltz is always beautiful, so is the story of “Up”—so they have a lot going for them in this dance. 

So many balloons, though. Len would not be pleased.

Carrie Ann: “Jeannie? What’s going on? You’re great as a little old lady! You’re like adorable. You’re smooth, you found your pace. As a partnership, the balance is incredible.” Derek: “The first 10 minutes of “Up” is the most heart-wrenching I’ve ever seen. But this was beautiful. You breathed through the movement. Your frame was fantastic. Honestly, your best performance.” Bruno: “You really have captured the essence of the film. It was pure storytelling. That’s what a performance art is all about.” 

JUDGES: 22 (out of 30)

Jeannie, in her excitement, stole Bruno’s “8” paddle. Tyra got it back for him.

Daniella and Nelly, foxtrot (“Soul”)

At this point, “Soul” hadn’t been released to the general public yet, so Nelly and Daniella go to a special screening (aka just for them). They dance to the song “Follow Your Dreams,” and Nelly talks about how he followed his.

Lovcd their costumes.

Derek: “I thought it was more than alright. I thought it was great. This is your first ballroom dance. I wasn’t sure what to expect. But you came in here, you got that frame moving, it was smooth. BTW, I’m starting to like these shoes.” Bruno: “Charming. And you behaved like a real gentleman with your lady. For the first time this season, we saw a proper, slow foxtrot, which is so hard to do, so difficult.” Carrie Ann: “There’s a naturalness to you that is really enjoyable to watch. The next step I wanna see from you is a breakout. It’s all a little safe, but now you know you’re good in the ballroom.”

JUDGES: 18 (out of 30)

Pasha and Carole, samba (“The Lion King”)

Poor Pasha. They’ve got him dancing to every cat/tiger/lion song around, dressed up in the hokiest costumes. But what a trooper! They actually do/attempt samba rolls!

Bruno: “I am stunned. I have never ever seen a samba like this one. If you were dancing with the Brooklyn Bridge, you could get more bounce. You just walked through it. Samba needs life, bounce and energy.” Carrie Ann: “You look beautiful. What I noticed about your dancing is that you danced that dance with a lot of love. I could feel it. You’re very tender. You have of the most beautiful hands when you dance. However, the samba is much more than those things. And it was lacking most of the other things. I really want to salute you for the love that you put into that dance.” Derek: “Thank you for loving big cats and taking care of them. Also, a 10 for costume and makeup. The dancing—there wasn’t a lot of bounce, there wasn’t a lot of rhythm, which is what samba is.”

JUDGES: 12 (out of 30)

Artem and Kaitlyn, rumba (“Moana”)

This song has been danced to on many a Disney Night, but I don’t think ever as a rumba. For me, it was a bit fast for a rumba. But it was nice. She is clearly dancing barefoot because of her injury from last week.

Carrie Ann: “OK, so for me, so far, best dance of the night by miles. That was so good. The way you brought together the elements of Hawaiian, dancing barefoot, as we would do for the hula. It had the essence of the rumba. You just brought it all together. You told the story. I was elated watching it.” Derek: “You are a beautiful dancer. Such fluidity in your movements. So lyrical. I kinda disagree a little bit though. It’s a rumba.” Bruno: “You really reminded me of the shape of water. Breaking waves, a wonderful swell, continuous movement. Total flow. It was wonderful.”

JUDGES: 23 (out of 30)

Can I just remark about how sullen and boring Tyra’s comments are? Ugh.

Peta and Vernon, quickstep (“Beauty and the Beast”)

Here’s another song that they do every Disney Night (it seems)… “Be Our Guest” from “Beauty and the Beast.” Vernon is not exactly happy that he’s the Candlestick, instead of being the Beast.

Derek: “Real men play candlesticks. You’re radiating so much joy when you dance. I just love watching you dance. I really enjoyed it.” Bruno: “You had such light and easy action. You exude confidence. You were connecting with her, you were connecting with us. And much lighter on your feet.” Carrie Ann: “What is amazing is that you guys have found your balance in the partnership. You slowed down your energy to meet Peta perfectly. What you created out there was one of my favorite dances of the night. I loved it. It was happiness.”

JUDGES: 22 (out of 30)

Jenna and Nev, Argentine tango (“Pirates of the Caribbean”)

This is another oldie but goodie that is always trotted out during Disney Week/Night. Sometimes it’s a paso doble. Here, it’s an Argentine tango. Jenna has them both playing pirates, which gives it a jaunty spin.

Bruno: “What’ve we got here? The Pirates of Argentina! You managed to maintain the slightly camp, inebriated mannerism, yet you maintained the Argentine tango all the way through. The footwork, the ganchos, everything was there. I loved it.” Carrie Ann: “I really loved the way you were able to balance out from character back in. I also appreciated that your lifts were appropriate, and you didn’t hide behind doing lifts, because a lot of people do that once they get to the Argentine tango.” Derek: “Now we’re cooking with some hot sauce, baby! That was so good. Really, really really strong. I loved the embrace. I loved the ganchos, all the footwork. And of course, the character: you nailed it, brother.”

JUDGES: 24 (out of 30)

Britt and Johnny, rumba (“Mulan”)


 Britt is just fantastic, but there wasn’t much body contact for a rumba. Still, I really liked it a lot.

Carrie Ann: “I believe in you so much that tonight watching you dance like that felt so good, because I saw you make the transition from being an ice skater to a ballroom Latin dancer. You’re using your feet, you’re using the floor. It was epic.” Derek: “That was beautiful. Your arms, your lines. You arrived on a straight leg.” Bruno: “Johnny, as always, your shapes, your extensions are exquisite. What I really really loved, I was really impressed, is that you started to project emotion. I could read that you were actually playing a character. Keep on that way.”

JUDGES: 24 (out of 30)

Sharna and Jesse, jive (“Newsies”)

Way fun dance. Great kicks and flicks, IMHO.

Derek: “First of all,  I love me some “Newsies.”  I feel like you didn’t feel as comfortable with this routine, timing-wise. There was definitely a moment when you got ahead of the music. For me, I didn’t really feel this one as much from you.” Bruno: “I felt it big time. I did. You actually played the role brilliantly. I thought your footwork was very very light. Very nimble. But you were moving much much better than you every have.” Carrie Ann: “I agree with Bruno. I think you told the story beautifully. But I also agree with Derek. Your musicality was less than favorable. You have got to tap into the music, deep in your soul. You were like surface floating over the music. And that doesn’t allow us to connect with you, and what you’re doing.”

JUDGES: 20 (out of 30)

Gleb and Chrishell, waltz (“Cinderella”)

The costumes are stunning. Luckily, they hide her feet a lot. They are waltzing to “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes” from “Cinderella.”

Bruno: “The belle of the ball. Gorgeous. You really look like the ultimate Disney princess. I could feel the romance unfolding.” Carrie Ann: “Princess Carrie Ann approves of Princess Chrishell. You were together. Together, you guys are stunning. Work on your shoulders.” Derek: “You guys are absolutely stunning. A beautiful dance.”

JUDGES: 22 (out of 30)

So who’s going home on Disney Night?

The bottom of the leader board is Carole and Pasha, with Anne and Keo above them.

So who’s the bottom two? The very same.

Going home?

Darn! All those cat songs they’ll never get to! :-(

MICHE’s Favorites of Disney Week

1. Jenna and Nev, Argentine tango

2. Sasha and Justina, Charleston

3. Val and Monica, Viennese waltz

4.Sharna and Jesse, jive

5. Britt and Johnny, rumba

6. Artem and Kaitlyn, rumba

7. Cheryl and AJ, quickstep

8. Daniella and Nelly, foxtrot

9. Brandon and Jeannie, Viennese waltz 

10. Pasha and Carole, samba

11. Gleb and Chrishell, waltz

12. Peta and Vernon, quickstep


Go Home Already!

1. Anne Heche and Keo, quickstep

2. Skai and Alan, jive (every cutaway to Skai during the show, she looked so very bored…)

**************************************************************** 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I encourage and welcome the dialogue.