Saturday, December 28, 2019

DTWS S027, Week Three, Most Memorable Year: Tears and Goosebumps


Normally, when I write a #DWTS column, I dutifully watch the episode I’ve recorded, and am able to rewind and fast-forward to my heart’s content to insure I get every last nuance. However, that is not what we have with this episode. So, I apologize ahead of time. The episode was lost, and sadly, they don’t have back DWTS episodes on Disney Plus yet, so I am at a loss. I do, luckily for me, have my notes (yes, I also take notes while I’m watching the show), so I am going to write this column (so we have all episodes of the season) from my notes and from rewatching the videos. Sorry. That’s the best I’ve got at this time. What will mostly be lost are the extensive judges’ comments, which I know I  always love the most, especially during Most Memorable Year night.

Let’s begin. I will note that in the opening number, where they nicely have graphics representing what the year in question represented to each celebrity, at the end, the lyrics of the song say something about “love” and you can see Alan hugging Alexis tighter. Hmmm.

Once again proving that Hayley and Brit need to be pros now.
Tom promises tonight will bring “tears and goosebumps.”

First up is Mary Lou Retton doing a Viennese waltz with her partner, Sasha Farber.


Mary Lou and Sasha:    Viennese waltz
Most Memorable Year:  1984
Why?: She won the gold medal in gymnastics in Los Angeles

Mary Lou talks about what a thrill it was to win the gold medal for this country. But she also tells us: “There’s another reason why it was so special that people don’t know. Six weeks before I competed, I had knee surgery.” WHAT? Doctors didn’t even think she could walk again after six weeks, let alone compete in the Olympics. She says: “I just wasn’t gonna give up.”

So they are dancing this Viennese waltz (!) to “We Are the Champions.” Says Mary Lou: “That song got me through some really dark times, times when I wanted to give up. The words inspired me, and kept me going. This is gonna be emotional. I don’t know if I can do it without crying. I’m very proud of that moment.”

Of course, it’s a much slowed-down version of the song. As they dance, images of her at the Olympics are projected on the floor. They also have a woman singing, which gives it an extra poignancy. And the adult Mary Lou at the end raises her arms as the 14 year old did. *tears*

Awww, man. It’s only the first dance. Whew.

JUDGES’ SCORES:  24 (out of 30)


Milo and Witney:            Viennese waltz
Most Memorable Year:  2018
Why?: “My movie came out, I’m on this show, I graduated from high school... I feel like I’m starting with life this year”

Most of his package bores me, but we did learn that he calls Witney “Wittles.” I need to call that out.

I will note that DWTS seems to be reusing a lot of songs (and choreography) from previous seasons. They never used to do that. Milo and Witney are dancing to the so-memorable number from Jenna and Adam’s Mirror-Ball-winning freestyle. WTF? Also, I really HATE when they choose to dance on the judges’ podium. Leave it alone. Dance somewhere else. Very annoying.

JUDGES’ SCORES:  27 (out of 30)


Nancy and Val:               Rumba
Most Memorable Year:  2006
Why?: I think she said that’s when her first baby was born. In any case, she is dedicating this rumba to her family.

Val’s dancing, the perfection of it, just makes me swoon. So exquisite. But Nancy seems to be mostly just kinda standing there in this dance. Also, rumba is supposed to be the most sexual dance of all, and this wasn’t in any way sexual. They dance to “When You Love Someone.”

JUDGES’ SCORES:  22 (out of 30)



Alexis and Alan:              Contemporary
Most Memorable Year:  2014
Why?: The year she learned her mother was going to die.

Whew. That one was pretty sad, too. Her mom had Stage 4 cancer.

BTW, the women singing on this show are just phenomenal.

JUDGES’ SCORES:  26 (out of 30)

At this point, they do something they’ve never done (and should do more): they ask the pros what their “Most Memorable Year” was. Alan: 2018. Sharna: 2003, the year she moved to London. Keo: 2009, when he won the South African Ballroom & Latin championships. Lindsay: 2015, the year she married her “high school sweetheart Sam.” Sasha and Emma come on together, and Sasha says that 2018 is their most memorable year, cause they got married. (Awww!)

Wait...where’s everyone else? :-(


Evanna and Keo:            Viennese waltz
Most Memorable Year:  2006
Why?: The year she booked her role in Harry Potter.

They do a Viennese waltz to the Harry Potter theme song. “Suddenly, I was in the world, living the dream. I adored the franchise, and Luna Lovegood was my favorite character. I just felt like I knew her soul, and I was meant to be playing her.” Evanna talks quite poignantly about her pen friendship with JK Rowling, and how JK Rowling and the Harry Potter books really saved her life. “Being in Harry Potter proved to me that I had something to offer the world.” Says one of the best dancers on this show.

JUDGES’ SCORES:  27 (out of 30)



Joe and Jenna:                Viennese waltz
Most Memorable Year:  2018
Why?: How could it be any thing other than this one? He was on TWO previous TV shows, one where he met his current girlfriend. Now he’s on Dancing with the Stars. Does life get better? NO. Oh wait, let him speak... Oh yeah. That’s what he said, too.

This dance was so beautiful. Jenna’s costume and hair are goregous, as is her amazing dancing. I loved this dance. I wish I could hear the judges’ comments. (Oh, they hated it.)

(That was Leona Lewis and Kellum Scott doing the singing while they danced.)

Len said he “needed more recognizable Viennese waltz than two bars,” at which Jenna makes a face.

JUDGES’ SCORES:  18 (out of 30)

Some dude named Lucas Graham performed, and Val and Jenna danced to it. It was beautiful.


Juan Pablo and Cheryl:  Samba
Most Memorable Year:   1999
Why?: The year he moved away from Buenos Aires.

Juan Pablo moved to Los Angeles to pursue his dream “of being an entertainer,” and after almost ten years, he got a part in Mamma Mia (working with Meryl Streep).


The role he was doing just before he got Mamma Mia was as a “salsa dancer” on a TV show. Fitting then, that they dance salsa to celebrate his arrival in LA.

If nothing else, I sure hope this turn on DWTS helps to cement Juan Pablo di Pace’s status as a heartthrob that needs to be cast in a a lot of things! (Ahem...)

This salsa was steamy and hot and wonderful, as most of their dances are. It gets A STANDING OVATION FROM LEN (not a daily occurrence by any means).

JUDGES’ SCORES:  30 (out of 30)

The first perfect score of the season!

Aha. Here they are. More “Most Memorable Year” items from the Pros. Brandon: 2008, when he first came on #DWTS. Cheryl Burke: 2018, because she got engaged. Witney Carson: 2015, when she got married. Val: 2001, when he won Junior World Latin Championships (just after 9/11). Jenna: 2018, because she “got engaged to the love of her life, Val.” That segment ends on a funny note, when the producer tells her: “you know Val didn’t choose 2018, right?” Jenna: “He didn’t choose this year?” She pauses, and points at her engagement ring. “Not this year?“



Pretty funny. Oh, look, Val and Jenna are watching it air. She doesn’t look happy.


John and Emma:             Waltz
Most Memorable Year:   2016
Why?: The year his home and his mother’s home was destroyed in a flood, and he found love, and his mother died.

John dedicates this waltz to his mother, and Emma notes that his mother’s favorite flower was a yellow rose. They start the dance with John holding a yellow rose in his hand, which is transferred to Emma (standing in for his mom). The dance ends with yellow rose petals raining down on John as he stands alone. Beautiful.


In the package, John talks about his mother was happy to learn he had found love. “You’ve got your smile back,” she said. So they dance to “Smile.”

JUDGES’ SCORES:  21 (out of 30)


Bobby Bones and Sharna:   Contemporary
Most Memorable Year:        1998
Why?: The year Bobby graduated from high school, the first kid in his family to do so.

He describes a really difficult life growing up. His mom was 15 when she had him, she hadn’t graduated from high school. He didn’t know his dad. His mom struggled with drugs and alcohol addiction, which she died from at age 40. But before she died, she got her GED, having been inspired by her son.

They are dancing to “A Million Dreams” from “The Greatest Showman.” “What I would like people to see,” says Bobby, “is that it doesn’t really matter where you come from. It matters where you are going. It doesn’t matter where you start. It’s how much you want it.”


They have this little kid in the background, who is supposed to represent the kid Bobby (clothed the same). Little Bobby is dreaming in his bedroom (even though he said in the package that he didn’t have a bedroom, just slept on the couch and pushed his clothes under the couch).

At the end, he picks up a book, and holds it to his heart. So moving. I loved that dance.

JUDGES’ SCORES:  23 (out of 30)

My notes say there was a “Cool bumper” after the break, but I couldn’t tell you what it was. :-(


I have two pet peeves on this show. One is when “stars” have other things on their agenda, besides doing the show, which require them to travel all over. This show deserves your full attention, people! The other is when celebrities dance to their own songs. Ugh. That is what we have here with this rumba.

Tenashe and Brandon:    Rumba
Most Memorable Year:   2014
Why?: The year she released her debut album, “Aquarius.”

Her parents talk about what a prodigy she was... (Yawn...)

The other disadvantage to dancing to one’s own music is that it might not be as good as what they normally dance to, and the star is unable to see that. (For me, it was a quite unremarkable song.)

For me, it was also marred by the sweatstains under both of Brandon’s arms. Very unsexy, even though it was a gorgeous silk shirt.

JUDGES’ SCORES:  27 (out of 30)


DeMarcus and Lindsay:    Argentine tango
Most Memorable Year:     2016
Why?: He won the Super Bowl.

And it's most happy for him because he has his kids with him. What all that has to do with this Argentine tango, I’m not sure.

Lindsay likes throwing in lots of lifts with the football players, and that’s certainly true here.

In the last move, Lindsay pulls away, and when the camera pulls back, both of DeMarcus’ kids were by his side. (Nice touch!)

I will say that it’s incredible choreography overall.

JUDGES’ SCORES:  26 (out of 30)



Who’s going home on this night?

Sadly, Val and Nancy. :-(



Miche’s Favorites of Most Memorable Year night
1. Juan Pablo and Cheryl (samba)
2. Bobby Bones and Sharna (contemporary)
3. John and Emma (waltz)
4. Evanna and Keo (waltz)
5. Milo and Witney (jive)
6. Joe and Jenna (waltz)
7. DeMarcus and Lindsay (Argentine tango)
8. Mary Lou and Sasha (Viennese waltz)
9. Alexis and Alan (contemporary)
10. Nancy and Val (rumba)

************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I encourage and welcome the dialogue.